Senior citizens can find a wealth of “best of” lists on TheSeniorList.com, including best assisted living facilities, best dental and vision insurance for seniors, best online dating sites for seniors, best to-your-door meal delivery services, best senior cell phone plans, best walk-in tubs, and a list of the best prescription discount cards.
Recently, the website also listed the safest states for seniors to retire to. The rankings define safety in five different dimensions:
• The amount of fraud reported per 100,000 residents in each state (the lower the better)
• The monthly housing cost for renters (lower is better)
• The percent of residents over age 65 who are living in poverty (ideally not high)
• The average annual rate of violent injury death among residents 65 and older
• The percentage of seniors living alone compared with the state’s overall population.
The rankings are below, with each state’s ranking in each of the five categories among all states (lower numbers indicate superior rankings):
1. Iowa (Fraud 3rd; Housing 5th; Poverty 3rd; Violent injury 12th; Living alone 3rd.)
2. Nebraska (Fraud 5th; Housing 11th; Poverty 9th; Violent injury 14th; Living alone 29th.)
3. South Dakota (Fraud 2nd; Housing 2nd; Poverty 17th; Violent injury 8th; Living alone 40th.)
4. Minnesota (Fraud 11th; Housing 27th; Poverty 4th; Violent injury 9th; Living alone 25th.)
5. Utah (Fraud 7th; Housing 30th; Poverty 2nd; Violent injury 38th; Living alone 1st.)
6. North Dakota (Fraud 1st; Housing 12th; Poverty 39th; Violent injury 6th; Living alone 34th.)
7. Indiana (Fraud 26th; Housing 13th; Poverty 12th; Violent injury 21st; Living alone 21st.)
8. Kansas (Fraud 19th; Housing 16th; Poverty 10th; Violent injury 22nd; Living alone 27th.)
9. New Hampshire (Fraud 21st; Housing 37th; Poverty 1st; Violent injury 19th; Living alone 22nd.)
10. Wisconsin (Fraud 12th; Housing 20th; Poverty 15th; Violent injury 13th; Living alone 41st.)
Please Note: This article is used with permission from a newsletter to which KFG subscribes. It is for our clients only and may not be republished.