Cathy Curtis’s article on “10 Ways to Save Money and Not Feel Deprived” is an excellent read on ways to save money while minimizing the pain. As I read through her list, I was surprised at how many I’ve actually done myself or recommended to clients. Here are her 10 recommendations:
1. Suspend spending on those items you can do yourself: manicures, pedicures, highlights, gym workouts. Or, cut back on frequency.
2. Don’t buy things you can borrow or trade (books, magazines, cd’s).
3. Avoid temptation – stay away from your favorite shops and toss out the catalogues unopened.
4. Stop subscriptions to things you aren’t reading: newspapers, magazines, online and offline.
4. Eat really well at home.
5. Bring delicious food to work for lunch.
7. Buy entertainment a la carte instead of via subscription: movies, theatre, and music events.
8. Hold onto things longer – your cell phone, computer, car, and oven.
9. Ramp down the luxury a bit – buy less expensive wines, eat at moderately priced restaurants.
10. Postpone the big vacation for a few years; enjoy smaller trips to great places.
You can read the entire article here.